Accessibility Links

Petrobras discovers oil off the coast of Brazil

13 Mar 2014
Petrobras has discovered oil via its wildcat well Pitu, located in the deepwater Potiguar Basin, 55km off the coast of Rio Grande do Norte.

The well detected a hydrocarbon column of 188 metres of 24º API quality oil in water depths of 1,731 metres and to a total depth of 5,353 metres. A formation test has been carried out which confirms that the reservoir is of satisfactory permeability and porosity.

Petrobras is the operator of concession BM-POT-17, with an 80% interest, in partnership with Petrogal Brasil, which holds the remaining 20% interest.