Database Administrator / DBA - SQL / Postgres
Job type: Contract
Job reference: : DBASQLUSC1
Location: England, Hampshire, Southampton
Sector: SMART Metering, Utilities
Date posted: 13/01/2017
This vacancy has now expired.
MUST BE SC CLEARED
Accountable for the technical support and consultancy to the database infrastructure, this includes (but is not limited to):
o Microsoft SQL & PostgreSQL and related infrastructure
o Exposure to clustered databases platforms
o Experience of SSIS & SSRS
o Experience of supporting databases running on Redhat Enterprise Linux and Windows platforms
Provide specialised consultancy to other areas of the business (in particular SMART metering) on database related technologies such as clustered and mirrored MS SQL, and PostgreSQL/NO SQL
Develop an excellent level of understanding of the business's IT's Smart Metering infrastructure
Identify opportunities within the database infrastructure for improvement
Perform performance tuning tasks as required along with troubleshooting and root cause analysis for related incidents.
Participate and manage tasks and initiatives as defined by the Smart Metering IT Environments Programme manager and Server & Database Manager.
Support and advise on-going patch management of Databases within specified environment's and solutions.
Assist in the review of High and Low Level Designs specifically relating to Disaster
Recovery/Service Continuity to meet specified RTO/RPO in relation to SQL Databases.
Essential experience needed
- Technical Support or IT Infrastructure background
- Exceptional working knowledge of SQL Databases (2008 & 2012) including Mirroring and Clustering and with VCS preferable.
- Previous experience of high performance database platforms within large scale virtualised environments.
- Good working knowledge of Postgres SQL
- Exceptional Database Performance optimization and monitoring skillset, mainly in Microsoft SQL & Postgres SQL.
- Good working knowledge of Unix and Windows related infrastructure, this includes but
is not limited to:
UNIX operating systems (Redhat or similar Linux)
Windows (2008, 2012)
- Exceptional understanding of SQL Query experience (PL/SQL)
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills, complimented by Excellent planning, prioritisation, Delivery & Report writing skills
- Subject matter expert for all DB technologies and ability to provide consultancy to all levels within the Programme.
- Ability to work in a busy, fast moving environment
- Willing to consider occasional travel throughout the UK with the possibility of overnight stays away from home for short periods of time. Must hold a current driving licence
- Experience in production of technical documentation
- Experience of working within an ITIL aligned environment
- Good VMware vSphere5 knowledge
- Foundational working knowledge of Oracle databases (9i, 10g, 11g,12g) infrastructure
- Understanding of project management methodology
If you are interested or if you would like to know more, please email email@example.com
For more information about this role please contact our London office