The Role: Director, Business Development - Western Region (Utility Scale Solar)
The candidate will identify, evaluate, develop, originate off-take and close utility scale solar and renewable development projects in the Western region of the United States to fulfill the company's renewable energy aspiration and growth strategy within North America.
CA Remote, Western States Remote, Austin or Houston, TX / Business Development
Essential Job Functions
- Remain abreast of solar, battery and renewable energy opportunities in the various energy markets in the Western region of the United States and the industry trends impacting future solar and renewable development opportunities and competitiveness in the region.
- Research, synthesize, track and report internally on state, local, utility, and RTOs/ISOs regulatory matters related to solar and renewables including state and regional policy, Integrated Resource Plans, Renewable Portfolio Standards, Renewable Energy Credit markets, supply and demand.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local regulatory, utility, municipality, community choice aggregator, corporate, developer and business leaders.
- Secure long-term power sale agreements to support the financing and build out of new solar projects in the region.
- Actively manage and build relationships with existing and new customers in the region including utilities, communities, corporations and community choice aggregators.
- Market projects and solar energy products produced by projects.
- Evaluate requests for bids, lead bid preparation, prepare competitive analysis and manage participation in procurement processes.
- Prepare proposals and presentation materials for customers and buyers.
- Seek opportunities and deal structures that allow for bilateral transactions with customers.
- Negotiate terms and conditions of power sale agreements.
- Drive transactions toward closure.
- Collaborate effectively with nation segment heads of origination for utility and corporate market segments as well as with the other regional developers and originators.
- Identify and screen new solar project opportunities (including greenfield site development, asset / project acquisitions and / or partnering with local developers). Prepare development plan to secure funding for each opportunity.
- Lead the advancement and completion of the various aspects of solar development projects including:
- stakeholder engagement and contracting with landowners, communities, municipalities, regulatory agencies, and other stakeholders,
- preparing persuasive communication and clear agreements for the various stakeholders in order to secure support for the proposed project,
- conducting due diligence on project acquisition targets,
- pitching opportunities to partner with local developers, communities and local stakeholders,
- site selection, interconnection, and permitting,
- effective coordination of functional groups supporting development including engineering, environmental, procurement, economic modeling, pricing, operations and maintenance, finance, legal, construction management, ,
- Carry out other duties as assigned.
For more information about this role please contact our Houston office