The Staff Engineer, Process reports to the Senior Staff Engineer, Process - Technical Services, and is the technical contact for all matters related to the process technology employed in the facility. The Staff Engineer, Process provides Operations and Maintenance departments with process expertise to support commissioning, start-up, operation and shutdown of process units, monitors daily plant operations, performs troubleshooting and process optimization, participates in development of capital projects, conducts research and process testing as required to solve problems, supports safety and environmental compliance, and understands business objectives so that the facility operates in support of business needs.
Understands the principles of fluid flow, heat transfer, thermodynamics, and hydrocarbon process chemistry. Familiar with the hazards of hydrocarbon processes and the methods used to keep process facilities safe. In-depth knowledge of LNG process engineering.In-depth knowledge of applicable codes, standards, and regulations and their implementation in operating facilities. Competent in the use of process simulation software. Knowledge in LNG facilities analytical test methods and laboratory quality management systems is a plus.
RESPONSIBLITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Provide support to the Senior Staff Engineer, Process in supervising and coordinating laboratory activities.
- Coach, mentor and develop less experienced staff.
- Play the role of the Senior Staff Engineer, Process during his absence and undertake the supervision of the process engineers and the laboratory personnel.
- Develop tools to monitor process performance and make improvement recommendations.
- Support plant Operations personnel in troubleshooting process issues and concerns.
- Develop and run computer process simulations in support of daily plant operations, plant modifications and capital projects.
- Design and carry out tests in the interest of enhancing production or solving process problems.
- Provide process engineering support for the commissioning, start-up and operation of the LNG plant and/or new process units installed in the facility.
- Develop, review and participate in the bidding of engineering services and technical contracts.
- Provide project support by providing technical oversight of the process design and reviewing contractor's documents.
- Development of process basis, preliminary estimates, and schedules for project design scopes.
- Thoroughly understand the technical Management of Change (MOC) process and utilize it in support of capital projects and routine facility changes.
- Conduct and participate in Process Hazards Analysis (PHA) utilizing checklist, "what if", and Hazard and Operability Review (HAZOP) methodologies.
- Participate in Pre Startup Safety Reviews. (PSSR).
- Participate on incident investigation teams.
- Participate in regulatory agency audits.
- Support procedure development and training related to capital projects, temporary or new modes of operation, and compliance.
- Reinforce safety and environmental awareness through frequent job observations and by interfacing with plant personnel.
- Work with Engineering and Construction department to assure O & M interests are represented on major projects.
- Interact with and support Commercial Operations, Regulatory Affairs, and other departments as required.
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS)
- Education and Certifications: Bachelor degree in Chemical Engineering. A Professional Engineer's (PE) License is a plus.
- Experience: Minimum Ten (10) years experience in an industrial setting in engineering or operations, depending on type of experience. Recent experience in an operating LNG facility is required. Experience in commissioning and start-up is preferred.
- Strong leadership and administrative abilities are required.
- Exceptional teamwork skills.
- An acute sensitivity to safety issues in a hazardous environment.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of an organization and with individuals and groups from different disciplines, industries, and governmental agencies.
- Able to work with a culturally diverse group of technical individuals whose skills cover the range required to engineer, operate, and maintain the LNG terminal and Liquefaction production facilities.
- Possess the personality and ability to relate to and to establish a mutually respectful relationship with 1) management, 2) peers and 3) the various facility level workers (Plant Manager, plant supervision, and plant workers) whom are all responsible for ensuring good operations.
- Organized, planning skills, able to manage multiple activities and programs in timely fashion and with a high degree of accuracy, able to meet work deadlines.
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills.
- Accomplished public speaker, able to create and deliver industry-specific presentations.
- Computer savvy including Project Management, database, Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint, and HYSYS computer process simulation.
- Must maintain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card in good standing status.
No direct reports.
FREEDOM TO ACT
The Staff Engineer, Process requires minimal supervision.
- Job is performed in an industrial plant setting.
- Occasionally, work may be performed from home, after normal work hours or on weekends.
- Limited travel required, as business conditions dictate.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing, per applicable federal regulations or as required by Cheniere.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to stand, walk, sit, climb stairs, work at height above ground on stairs and catwalks, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear, smell, type and write.
- Must be able to board a ship via a gangway, climb to the top of a tank (200+ steps), scale vertical steel ladder up to forty feet or more in height and lift and move objects weighting up to 30 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will work indoors and outdoors and be exposed to year-around weather conditions, ocean environment, and noise.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Required to pass regularly scheduled physical examinations mandated by regulatory authorities.
- Required to obtain mandated certification by attending Company-sponsored training in basic first aid, CPR, and LNG firefighting.
For more information about this role please contact our Houston office