My client is a top 400 ENR firm with over 125 years in the construction business, has an immediate need for an experienced Senior Estimator. The Senior Estimator will be working from our office in Lancaster PA, and report to the Director of Preconstruction & Estimating for our Pennsylvania Region. The Senior Estimator will take the project, mentally build the project, pull the necessary components together and establish, in an accurate manner, the anticipated cost of the project. This position will be the lead estimator and the Bid Captain on both hard bid projects and preparation of pricing for negotiated projects. If you are interested in joining a premier growing commercial construction firm with a stellar reputation in its industry, then this is the opportunity you've been looking for.
The Senior Estimator will be part of a fast paced team, working on large, complex and high profile multi million projects throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. This position's primary responsibility will be:
Regularly perform duties of Bid Captain or Lead Estimator:
- Develop or assist in development of strategy to prepare a bid or GMP on a regular basis.
- Organize and manage a bid team of estimators including making assignments, review the work and coordinating of the team.
- Coordinate the preparation of estimates with Operations team and Executive assigned to the project or proposal.
- Coordinate and oversee the preparation of proposals, estimate books, scope narratives and other items as required to be submitted to clients or prospective clients.
- Coordinate and work with Sales and Marketing on preparation of competitive proposals and bids.
Lead and explain estimates at various stages in the development of documents including conceptual, schematic, design development and construction documents.
Refine or develop knowledge of project sectors that the company is focusing on such as Hospitals, Senior Care, Education or others as defined from time to time.
Work independently and directly with clients as required to support the work acquisition efforts of the company.
Present estimates both internally and externally to clients while building trust and confidence in our knowledge of the project.
Regularly meet with and develop relationships with existing and new subcontractors/suppliers including evaluating the capabilities of the subcontractor/supplier (risk assessment).
Lead purchasing and/or work in conjunction with a team to purchase subcontractors and suppliers including coordination with the operations team on scopes, contracts, logistics and schedule.
Lead value engineering and constructability review efforts on projects including development of ideas, alternate solutions, presentation format, conducting of meetings and coordination of team involvement in the processes.
Assist the Estimating Manager in determining assignments of staff, development of staff and development of estimating tools such as databases, subcontractor list/prequalification, historic project data, etc. required to support the development of the estimating group.
Write subcontract scopes of work in a clear and concise fashion that will protect and limit the risks and or open exposure to the company.
Regularly interact with operations teams and Project Executives to develop project strategies, general conditions, schedules and logistics for projects during the estimating stage of projects.
Lead kick-off and turn over meeting to operations.
Assist in the development of standards, planning and objectives of the Preconstruction and Estimating Department
- Assist in the development of standards, planning and objectives of the Preconstruction and Estimating Department
- Become an active member in both community and trade organizations that support the individual and the company.
- Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in Engineering, Construction Technology, Architecture or similar field of study.
- Eight or more years of construction experience
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with contractors and fellow employees.
- Ability to learn and be coachable.
- Physical ability to make presentations
- Ability to work additional hours as necessary to meet business plan objectives
- Valid Driver's License
Spencer Ogden is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.