· POSITION OVERVIEW:
The Procurement Specialist will participate and lead the development and execution of critical sourcing initiatives. The Specialist will develop and execute procurement strategies in alignment with category strategies. The role includes understanding of the business objectives and desired outcomes, engaging internal clients, understanding options and risks associated with supply chain activities. The Specialist will also focus on building supplier relationships in order to achieve superior supplier performance, negotiating commercial terms to deliver the best value while minimizing risk. The Procurement Specialist reports directly to the Supervisor Procurement.KNOWLEDGE:
In depth knowledge of the related procurement strategies, all typical or standard contract provisions including provisions regarding warranties, confidentiality, title and risk of loss, reporting requirements, taxes, indemnities and insurance provisions. Also knowledge of typical contract structure and contract negotiation skills. Understands and is able to procure materials and services used in the construction, maintenance and operation of LNG terminals, gas pipelines, and home office. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS):
- Procure materials and services needed for construction, operation and maintenance of LNG terminals, pipelines and home office.
- Assist in the research, negotiation and establishment of contracts with qualified vendors in order to secure quality goods and services at optimum cost savings for the company.
- Coordinate and expedite delivery dates for material and services as needed.
- Assist in the implementation of the transaction reduction programs to optimize resources and build efficiencies into the procurement process.
- Qualify new vendors.
- Evaluate / award bids from vendors and analyze cost versus approved budgets and estimates.
- Create and direct effective negotiating strategies.
- Assist in the research and reporting of metrics and controls to manage and monitor vendor relationships.
- Prepare detailed Requests for Proposals (RFP) and coordinate the bidding process through contract award.
- Work with accounting to resolve invoice and purchase order variances.
- Work closely with Project Teams to ensure project deliverables are met, and effectively interface with legal, accounting and risk management as well as vendors and contractors externally.
- Work with relevant category managers to implement the procurement processes to ensure delivery of business plans and category strategies.
- Supports and deliver robust cost management and minimize business risk through rigorous sourcing activity
- In coordination with the Legal Department, assists with resolution of contract claims or disputes whenever necessary.
- Supports and drives the sourcing process which includes development of scope, supplier selection, commercial negotiation and contract execution.
- Participate in the Category Management and Strategic Sourcing training and development initiatives.
- Develop and maintain a broad understanding of Sourcing Strategies through the assessment of emerging and changing business needs, as well as industry best practices.
- Education and Certifications: A Bachelor's degree in Supply Chain Management or related Business area is required.
- Experience: 5 - 7 years' experience in accepted supply chain principles and processes, preferably with a background in sourcing. Must have experience in executing sourcing strategies, contracts and supply alliances, (including qualification and audit), contract management and commercial negotiations.
The ability to demonstrate the following competencies to the described level including but not limited to:Performance Focus - Basic
Team Dynamics - Basic
- Effective at managing work load while controlling costs and maintaining/improving quality
- Manages time and deals well with conflicting demands and priorities
Business Acumen - Basic
- Develops cooperative relationships with key contacts essential to getting the job done
- Seeks clarity in conversations in order to completely understand the information
Leadership - Basic
- Develops and maintains clear communication with clients regarding expectations
- Understands the company's priorities and their relationship to the asset strategy
- Sensitivity to safety issues in a hazardous environment.
Decisions Making - Basic
- Communicates information clearly interpreting and clarifying details and explaining rationale
- Has a clear sense of direction for the team and objectives and tracks progress against those objectives
Innovation - Basic
- Considers potential financial impacts when determining priorities and actions
- Able to break down problems or process into component parts in order to reach solutions
- Capable of generating new ideas and good at putting those ideas into the wider context
- Takes the initiative to make changes in working methods to do things better, faster and more efficient
SUPPLY CHAIN CORE COMPETENCIES - LEVEL AND SAMPLE DESCRIPTION:
- Computer skills including purchasing and systems such as Oracle in addition to Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
- Category Strategy Development and Application: Basic: Deploys sub-commodity strategy within own area with limited supervision
- Demand Management: Basic: Supports business users in application of basic demand optimization techniques (e.g. designing simple work call-off approval process)
- Sourcing: Skillful: Manages large value, complex selection processes (multi-million, multi-year, regional); leading development of qualifications and award criteria for category teams at the sub-category level
- Negotiating and Influencing: Skillful: Segments the negotiation in order to deliver the best outcome for the company, ensuring a broad and longer-term view of value is taken
- Contract Execution and Management: Skillful: Develops clear and concise contractual documentation for more complex or medium risk contracts (e.g. larger items of Terminal equipment) or customizes templates as required
- Materials Management: Basic: Utilizes material management processes and tools, and uses material control systems
- Supplier Performance/Relationship Management: Basic: Develops process for determining the appropriate level of supplier performance/relationship management
- Supply Chain Risk Management: Basic: Applies simple risk management techniques (e.g., level or risk, probability, manageability, and KPIs) to routine agreements
- Financial Skills: Skillful: Demonstrates ability to apply various cost calculation methods such as cash-flow analysis, total cost of ownership, all information available in the LexisNexis too to conduct a deeper financial analysis in order to deliver significant additional value
- Project Management: Skillful: Develops and leads a portfolio of strategic implementation plans developed for local/regional strategies
For more information about this role please contact our Houston office