Substation Project Engineer - Electric Utility
We are seeking a Substation Project Engineer who will work as a member of a dynamic team within our Commercial Energy Solutions organization, specifically our Power Delivery Services (PDS) division: an established group of electric utility engineering consultants that solve challenging substation engineering problems for our utility clients Nation-wide.
The Substation Project Engineer will report directly to the Engineering Lead/Manager (a licensed professional engineer) and is expected to work independently while assuming a lead role on project teams. This team member is expected to apply his/her technical expertise to solve complex problems related to substation engineering.
In this role the qualified individual will be expected to:
- Lead and/or perform Substation Physical Electrical engineering design (including general arrangement, electrical plans and sections, grounding plan and details, raceway plan and details, shielding plan and details, lighting plan and details, etc.) at HV and EHV voltage levels while adhering to prevailing standards, practices, procedures and project/program requirements.
- Lead and/or perform Protection and Control engineering design (including relaying one-lines, AC schematics, DC schematics, metering, SCADA systems, station communications, station automation, station security, etc.) at HV and EHV voltage levels while adhering to prevailing standards, practices, procedures and project/program requirements.
- Lead and/or conduct substation engineering studies and calculations (including bus spans, shielding, lighting, conduit fill, AC/DC loading and system design, etc.).
- Understand and apply industry standards, applicable state and federal safety codes, regulatory compliance requirements and construction codes to projects.
- Create equipment, material, construction and testing and commissioning specifications.
- Perform quality control (QC) reviews and lead QC review meetings on applicable engineering deliverables produced by junior staff, peers and remote offices on small, medium and large projects while adhering to the PDS quality management standard.
- Provide technical oversight, direction and support for project teams.
- Assure proper documentation of project technical data.
- Ensure and facilitate project team collaboration and communication across all disciplines and resolve design conflicts as required.
- Coordinate with project managers to successfully deliver projects to our clients.
- Function as client Point of Contact (P.O.C) and work directly with clients on project-related issues.
- Direct and/or participate in client meetings and job-site visits to collect and deliver design and engineering information.
- Identify and resolve project-related issues while proactively communicating and collaborating with the client.
- Perform evaluations of existing facilities to propose upgrades and replacements and presenting findings and recommendations to our clients.
- Complete conceptual design (one-line and general layout) to support project planning.
- Prepare and review proposals, technical write-ups and project approach documents for small, medium and large projects. This includes preparation and review of comprehensive project scopes of work and accurate man-hour estimates.
- B.S. or M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
- 7 - 12 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a B.S. degree
- 5 - 10 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a M.S. degree
- Prior experience as a substation lead engineer performing QC reviews and staff training/mentorship
- Experience with serving as firm-client liaison in a support and lead engineering role
- Must demonstrate advocacy of Quality Assurance and Control in the field of substation engineering
- Comprehensive understanding of the utility grid (power generation, transmission and distribution) system and the theories and principles involved in substation engineering
- Comprehensive understanding of industry standards (including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE/ANSI) and their application to projects
- Competence in researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations
- Understand the "big picture" approach as well as the importance of "Attention to Detail"
- Ability to meet deadlines under high pressure situations
- Team player who can work effectively in team environment with an ability to deal with and lead a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE)
- Experience with substation physical and protection and control design
- Experience with engineering programs and software (including SKM, ASPEN, ETAP, CDEGS or vendor software)
- Construction support experience
- Active membership in national engineering societies and work-groups (IEEE, PES, etc.)
Spencer Ogden is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.