Job type: Permanent
Job reference: : BBBH114582
Location: USA, Maryland
Sector: Project Controls, Contracts & Claims, Power
Date posted: 13/10/2017
This vacancy has now expired.
The estimator is responsible for analyzing blueprints, specifications, proposals and other documentation to prepare time, cost and labor estimates for electrical substation services.
Essential Functions and Duties:
· Maintain a bid checklist for each job; understand and monitor program of work to ensure estimates are completed prior to deadlines.
· Abide by bid process
· Maintain up to date bid list
· Upload project documents to Sharefile for vendors and subcontractors
· Review all contract documents to become familiar with project requirements and obligations under the contract and apply to pricing (schedule, specifications, drawings, safety manual, etc.), reviewing documents for accuracy and consistency.
· Submit RFIs for estimating questions by deadline
· Perform material take off
· Establish a construction schedule to develop manpower for the estimate. Include milestones, shutdowns, etc.
· Obtain vendor and subcontractor quotes and evaluate for completeness and best price for use in bid (Abide by our purchasing policy and ethics)
· Distribute qualification documents as required for the bid (MBE, WBE, experience, key individuals, etc.)
· Complete an Excel Front Sheet to generate price
· Develop a detailed proposal letter or bid form (If completed by assistant provide ample time)
· Participate in the estimate review process with internal and external stakeholders; upon award notify supervisor immediately
· Generate award documents for review to be submitted by deadline
· Identify areas of importance (milestones, LDs, etc.) of a project and relay to PM and Foreman
· Identify possible change orders and relay to PM and Foreman
· Review purchase orders, subcontracts, and contracts for accuracy
· Assist in the purchase of materials, services, and subcontracts in accordance with the purchasing policy
· Review/approve and/or forward submittals for shop drawings and samples for materials according to project requirements and schedules
· Assure complete and thorough pre-construction planning and distribution of all documents in accordance with the pre-construction process by scheduling and attending field walk-downs with the customer, subcontractor, and construction personnel, to understand and determine constructability requirements.
· Facilitate a scope review with the PM and Foreman
· Attend the pre-construction meeting; perform filed "take offs"/evaluations for estimate preparation.
· Attend project meetings as needed; assist construction personnel at the onset of the project life-cycle in tracking and understanding basis and approach to the cost estimate.
· Estimate change order costs, and assist with the preparation and submission of change orders as requested
· Follow up at the end of the project to provide lessons learned in the estimating process.
· Good oral and written English language expression.
· Strong communication, organizational, analytical, leadership and relationship skills.
· Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
· Ability to prepare construction schedules in Microsoft Project and/or Primavera P6.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks and work under pressure.
· Self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision.
· Manage time efficiently.
*Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering Finance, Accounting, or another related field.
*Five years or more related experience in the Investor Owned Utility Electric utility or construction industry performing cost estimates and estimating knowledge of electric distribution, transmission and substation project is required.
*Experience in understanding project "blueprints", design drawings, specifications, proposals and other documentation to prepare time/cost/equipment/labor/material estimates for projects and services.
*Valid Driver's License required to operate a company or personal vehicle for company business.
*Ability to travel as required throughout the Mid-Atlantic, Northeast and Great Lakes regions.
*Must be able to present acceptable documents evidencing identity and employment authorizations per the Federal I-9 requirement.
*Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
*Proficient in McCormick Estimating Software.
*Knowledge of general construction practices.
*Knowledge of the National Electric Code and NFPA 70E.
*Knowledge of Microsoft Projects and/or Primavera a plus
Spencer Ogden is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.