Job type: Permanent
Job reference: : BBBH126678
Location: USA, New York, Buchanan
Sector: Electricity, Utilities
Salary: US$60000 - US$100000 per annum
Date posted: 07/06/2018
This vacancy has now expired.
I'm currently working with a leading Fortune 500 utility provider who are currently looking for a Construction Inspector for Transmission & Distribution projects. They are looking for an ambitious individual who will be able to identify issues with trees and foliage surrounding the transmission and distribution lines.
- Oversees contractors to ensure that safe work practices are followed and the environment is fully protected in accordance with applicable regulations.
- Ensures implementation of the contractors' environmental, health and safety plans (eHASP) on a daily basis.
- Conmunicates with superiors, subordinates, and contractors and interfaces with various company departments to ensure orderly, timely and cost-effective completion of all vegetation management activities.
- Performs field inspections to visually ensure all procedures are being implemented. Obtains first-hand information and evaluates conditions. Reports job status and progress to middle, upper and executive levels of management.
- Reviews and evaluates overhead transmission vegetation management activities, contractor work submittals, and contractor payment requests, issuing modifications when required.
- Assists with the preparation of annual Public Service Commission (PSC) and North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) reports and data collection.
- Develops monthly forecasts for annual budgets, prepares monthly accruals, and tracks contractor expenditures.
- Prepares contractor field observation reports, contractor evaluation reports, and safety inspection reports and ensures they are entered into the Contractor oversight System (COS).
- Ensures the reliability of the overhead transmission system by managing ROW and off-ROW vegetation in accordance with the company's Vegetation Management Plan, and associated specifications and procedures.
- Assists in the development, revision, and modification of the Transmission Vegetation Management Plan.
- Supervises and manages all facets of contractor work involving ROW and off-ROW vegetation management activities, including but not limited to evaluating the quality of the work and requesting follow-up work be performed prior to issuing contractor payments.
- Provides guidance and expertise to Company forces that inspect the right-of-way. This shall involve conducting job briefings and making occasional aerial patrols of the right-of-way.
- Provides expert arboriculture advice and guidance to municipalities, adjacent property owners, and other internal and external customers as required.
- Performs night, overtime, and weekend supervisory duty as required.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Associate's Degree Forestry, Biology, Environmental Science And 4 years work experience managing contractors performing vegetation management activities Or
- Bachelor's Degree Forestry, Biology, Environmental Science And 2 years work experience managing contractors performing vegetation management activities
- Bachelor's Degree Forestry, Biology, Environmental Science And 2 years experience managing contractors performing distribution or transmission line clearance
Required Work Experience
- Requires at least two years of work experience managing contractors on electric transmission or distribution vegetation management programs or five years of contractor oversight experience.
Skills & Ability
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Ability to interpret basic information on drawings.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data
- Ability to build strong customer relationships
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to represent the company with external constituents
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Performs work independently with minimal supervision
- Well organized, detail oriented and flexible to handle multiple assignments
- Possesses strong technical aptitude
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
- Other: New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Pesticide Applicator or Pesticide Technician License 180 Days Required
- Other: International Society of Arborists Certification Upon Hire Required
- Must respond to system emergencies
- Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
- Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
- Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
Other Physical Demands
- Conduct aerial system inspections via a helicopter
- Walk and drive a 4 wheel drive vehicle on unstable off-road terrain on company Rights-of-Way
- Must be able to travel to different work locations as required.
- Must be able to walk on steep vegetation covered slopes.
- Must be able to participate in the Company's emergency management processes and storm plans as required.
Spencer Ogden is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.